Seras was turned into a vampire by Alucard to save her from a would-be fatal gunshot wound in the chest, that he also caused while shooting the Cheddar Priest. She acts as the point of view character for the audience. Seras is a Draculina, a term used to refer the female members of the Dracul bloodline, since she has been turned into a vampire by Alucard.
PhysicalSeras is initially an attractive young woman with blonde hair cut into a flare cut and blue eyes. She had a fairly broad-shouldered torso, yet maintained a very voluptuous and buxom figure, which was further accentuated by the fact that she is considerably shorter than virtually all of her allies. Occasionally, her eyes assumed a red hue in moments of extreme rage or vampiric bloodlust.
PhysicalAs a fully-fledged vampire, her hair lightened to an almost platinum blonde color, and her eyes became permanently red. She continued to wear a uniform of the exact same style as before, but colored burgundy red instead of a yellow. After losing the original one to Zorin Blitz, it was replaced by a mass of writhing black and orange shadowy matter that initially manifested as a whip-like set of tendrils. Shortly after transforming, however, she learned how to mold the shadow matter into the shape of her original arm. Thirty years after transforming, she demonstrated the ability to shapeshift this shadow matter with far greater precision, at one point going so far as to use it to briefly mimic a full copy of Alucard's typical attire to wear as a joke. In the OVA, Seras' shadow also developed a resonating effect similar to Alucard's, which became more prominent when she was in battle. Due to her obtained immortality, she now remains in her 19-year-old form permanently.
ClothingShe usually wore an almost tight yellow buttoned shirt with a matching turtleneck and pockets with a matching mini skirt and dark grey belt, long white stockings, ankle fold brown boots, and brown gloves and a red bandana on her right arm that has the Hellsing badge, and in the left, it's folded.
ClothingSeras wore the same outfit which includes; a tight buttoned shirt with a turtleneck and pockets and a matching mini skirt with a belt, a long stockings and ankle fold boots and gloves. Notable differences includes; white gloves, dark red clothing with a torn off right shoulder, due to the arm being cut off by Zorin Blitz's scythe, and a dark red boots and stockings. Her stockings also has holes in it for some reason.
On the flashback of Ultimate 8, when Seras was young, she wore a teal sweater. Later on, when it was shown that she was an orphan, she wore a white shirt with black vest and a dark red cravat.
Seras is a strong-willed woman and apparently had always been since childhood which is confirmed through her flashbacks. Seras is often considered a tomboy; a very brave, strong, and heroic young woman who while exhibiting a wild temperament, is not afraid to question the orders of her master if they cross with her personal beliefs. Her devotion to morals and integrity is rather unusual, considering her horrid past. However, she is a loyal and trustworthy soldier who will diligently follow the orders of her commander, provided said commander has proven his or her worth.
Her level of maturity in comparison to the other characters is somewhat questionable; she seems to be the child the others could not be, yet possessing a sort of worldly maturity and superficial intelligence that most other characters lack, as well as a sort of 'nurture winning against nature' mentality, as opposed to most other characters. She's the "light that stands out from the darkness" (quoting Kouta Hirano from an interview).
Kouta Hirano stated in an interview at Otakon 2006, "Her relationship with Alucard is very complicated, since "many things mix together", like being part of the same kind. Comrade, or, from Seras' point of view, probably Alucard is the master/teacher. Certainly, of course, there is the feeling of love, but also, it could be something closer to the ties of familiship." When questioned about them having a father/daughter relationship, the author answered "There's no one way to distinguish how they (Alucard and Seras) feel about it (their relationship). We cannot say it's just father and daughter." Moreover, the theory that is a master and simple servant/slave relationship was rejected by him, saying that "At first, they were saying it should be master and slave, but then they changed their minds because they said 'no, no, master and slave is the relationship between Alucard and Integra'. So, we cannot call Alucard and Seras master and slave."
Alucard expresses both trust and patience for Seras' development as a vampire. He describes her as a "fascinating creature" beneath her girlish exterior before explaining his reasons for turning her into a vampire. In the second volume of the manga, he insults her and states that he regrets ever turning her, yet expresses guilt when he sees she is upset. He follows up his rant, not by apologizing, but by saying that perhaps it was time for a vampire who "didn't roam the night alone." In Vol. 3 of the Manga and the third episode of the OVA, Alucard yells at Seras after she objected to his ruthless slaughter of human beings. Once more, after she started to cry, he regretted his actions and his tone softened. In volume 8 and the eighth episode of the OVA, Alucard greets her with a gentle smile, and pats her on the head, saying only her name: "Seras... Seras Victoria." as opposed to the usual "police girl." In chapter 71 he stated that her "voice is calling out" for him, recognizing it.
At times Seras feels rather nervous and uneasy around him, due to his constant early berating about her being a pathetic vampire. However, she demonstrates great loyalty for him that transcends the actions of a slave obeying and serving a master. While she does not partake in the slaughter of the human SWAT team, she aides Alucard in his combat with Tubalcain Alhambra and later attempts to fight Alexander Anderson (though her attack is comically cut short). As the series progresses, her shy and nervous behavior towards Alucard is quickly overcome once she becomes a full fledged vampire and he addresses her with her full name.
During Alucard's fight with Anderson, Seras comes to his rescue in a desperate attempt to save him. After stopping the strike by Anderson, Seras' alarmed calls Alucard back from torpor. The last visage in his dream was Seras' face, ending the flashback and chapter with the words: "There is a voice. There is a voice calling out. It's...you?." Before facing Anderson he compliments her: "Why so loud police girl? Your voice sounds fine regardless; like fragments of shattered melody.." By volume 9, Alucard fully recognizes Seras' growth and tells her: "Go with our master. Go and conquer, Seras". Later, he describes her as his "servant who loves only him." In the end, Seras was the only one who had unwavering faith that Alucard would return.
The two main heroines interact very well. Seras expresses great loyalty towards Integra and the two form a friendship that transcends the master and slave relationship that Integra has with Alucard. Seras joins Walter, Arthur Hellsing, and Sir Penwood as characters Integra can trust and openly show affection towards. In volume 2, Seras loses control of her vampire instincts during the attack on Hellsing manor. In her rage, she kills the newly reanimated Hellsing soldiers in front of Integra. Integra, horrified at the sight of Seras mercilessly slaughtering her men, rushes to Seras and embraces her, pleading for her to stop rather than demanding it of her. When Seras regains herself, she too is horrified by her actions. When Integra is ordered to kill the remaining ghouls, Seras expresses great sadness for her.
In volume 4 and episode four of the OVA, Integra tells Seras that it is time for her to accept that she is a vampire. She cuts her finger and in a most risque fashion, orders Seras to lick it. Seras hesitantly obeys and feels better. This scene demonstrated that Integra trusted that Seras would not bite her even when offered 100% pure virgin blood. In volume 7, Seras saves her from the Iscariot priests, creating a protective barrier all around her with her shadowy left arm. Seras does not even have to say that Captain Bernadotte has died before Integra realizes it. Integra remarks in a melancholy yet proud tone that Seras is a true vampire now. In episode VIII of the OVA, when Alucard returns, Seras awkwardly welcomes her master back, but nervously hides behind Integra when he stares at her. In chapter 82, Integra and Seras go to face The Major but are confronted by the Captain. Seras suggests that Integra go on to face the Major while she deals with the Captain, to which Integra says to her "I won't forgive you if you die". After defeating the Captain, Seras returns to Integra. On her order, Seras opens fire on the Major and injures him, allowing Integra to move in for the kill. Once he is defeated, Seras carries Integra and flies out of the exploding zeppelin.
Seras stays with Integra during the thirty years transitional period in the manga, where the two have grown even closer as companions. Seras teases Integra in a similar fashion that Alucard used to tease her, and Integra confesses some insecurities about her aging appearance. Still, once Seras senses that Integra is in danger, she was at her side in a moment's time. Her heroism is cut short when she realizes Alucard has returned.
Walter was highly respected by Seras and was also her mentor as an elder. Walter often cared for and encouraged Seras as the butler of the Hellsing family. Seras is very grateful for him and deeply pained when she was confronted by the reality of Walter joining Millennium simply to face Alucard in battle. Despite Walter becoming a traitor, Seras and Walter still genuinely care for each other and he was taken aback by her gratitude for him as the butler of Hellsing as they wished each other to take care in their final words of exchange despite officially being friends no longer.
Seras and Pip first meet after Walter hires professional mercenaries to fill in for the soldiers that had been killed during the Valentine Brothers' attack. Integra introduces Seras as a "genuine vampire," much to Pip's disbelief. Seras challenges him to a duel in which she is only allowed to flick her fingers. With her inhuman speed, she constantly pokes the captain into submission. At first, he considers her a freak, but his doubts are laid to rest when Alucard phases through the wall to meet him.
In Vol. 3 of the manga, Seras and Pip do not interact well. Seras is assigned to train his men how to properly shoot the 4500-meter mark. Seras takes great annoyance when Pip calls her a "freak" and with great ease, takes down the target with a rifle. Her victory is short-lived when Pip points out that she had killed the "innocents" as well as the targets with her shot. Shortly afterwards Seras bursts into Alucard and Walter's conversation, complaining that Pip and the other mercenaries were "sexually harassing" her by singing a dirty song. During the mission to Rio de Janeiro, Pip and Seras rarely interact, though he hijacks a helicopter to help her and Alucard escape after the battle with Tubalcain Alhambra.
In OVA IV, there is a brief moment where Pip and Seras are having a seemingly happy discussion. While there is no dialogue, Pip seems to be flattering her and Seras seems to enjoy his company, and in the credits of OVA 7, Seras is seen giving Pip a playful wink. In Vol. 4, we discover that they had returned to Alucard after failing to find transportation out of South America. After Anderson and Alucard's brief fight, they return to England to attend the meeting with The Queen and the Round Table Conference.
After drinking Pip's blood, a part of Pip now resides in Seras and he acts as her familiar. As such, it is implied that the other characters can sense Pip's presence within her. The two remaining mercenaries of the Wild Geese salute Seras and address her as "Sir" before she leaves, and Integra realizes that Seras drank his blood without any knowledge as to what had happened at the mansion. When Alucard returns to London, he notices the change in Seras as well. Pip doesn't make another appearance until Vol. 9 and later in Vol. 10, during Seras' fight with The Captain. After taking a terrible beating, Seras hears Pip's voice telling her to stand up because "the girl [he] know[s] doesn't give up so easily." He encourages her to get back into the fight and tells her when and how to attack. When delivering the final blow, Seras actually summons Pip as her familiar to help her kill The Captain. After defeating him, Pip tells her to go and end it. 30 years later, Pip is referred to as Seras' shadow and has covered the entire mansion.
Seras and Heinkel formed a rivalry against each other much like their mentors Alucard and Anderson did. Seras became a full-fledged vampire and Heinkel a regenerator. Heinkel's silhouette can be seen standing in the background 30 years after The Major's attack on London.
The Captain is Seras' silent, deadly adversary. Note that The Captain once kicked Alucard in half and made him back off in The Dawn when Dracula appeared in the form of a girl. Seras had a hard time facing The Captain but was encouraged by her familiar, Pip Bernadotte, who finished The Captain off with the final blow for Seras while her right arm was regenerating from smashing The Captain who punched her at the same time and was regenerating his arms too.
Seras has not interacted very much with Schrödinger at all, though she did seem rather embarrassed by Schrödinger greeting her during the meeting with the Queen. Mostly because he kept awkwardly staring at her.
Zorin initially greatly underestimated Seras despite The Major's warning. After Seras shot down her Zeppelin, Zorin vowed to kill Seras in a bid for revenge. Upon meeting face to face, Seras stood her ground against Zorin until Zorin used her powers to dredge up Seras's memories, costing Seras an arm and her eyes. After Zorin killed Pip Bernadotte, she finally pushed Seras too far with her sadism, resulting in Seras drinking his blood and awakening as a full vampire before proceeding to decimate Zorin and all of her men in the fight that followed. Seras's hatred for Zorin is revealed by Seras's claim that she would not drink Zorin's blood even if her survival hinged on it.
Powers and Abilities
- Superhuman Strength: As a former police officer, Seras is well-trained in hand-to-hand combat and can easily take down opponents using a combination of brute strength and technique, as in the case of Jan Valentine. Specifically, she put the vampire in a hold, preventing him from moving, despite his strength. She demonstrates some maneuvers and attacks such as kicks and karate chops that suggest that she is taught in some kind of martial art. Under extreme stress, she can go into a berserk rage and destroy a few dozen ghouls in mere seconds as seen during the Valentine brothers' attack. Despite having a slight frame and little weight, she has phenomenal lifting strength and load-bearing abilities, but her limbs come under none of the normal strain from heavy weaponry worth several hundred pounds, and such objects do not crumble when carried. Furthermore, extremely high-recoil and normally turret-fixed weapons like the Harkonnen I and Harkonnen II afford no such problems to Seras, even though powerful muscles would afford her little help without a strong footing.
- Superhuman Speed: Seras has can move and react at superhuman speeds, flicking Pip Bernadotte before he could react and more notably, despite being weighed down by part of the Harkonnen I, she was able to attack and kill a group of Millennium vampires.
- Third Eye: This clairvoyant-like sense lets her penetrate illusions and see things from afar as well. This ability also gives her superhuman accuracy, as she was able to snipe Zorin Blitz from more than 600 meters away with pinpoint aim.
- Regeneration: She has the regenerative ability of an average vampire. Her limit was seen when Zorin cut her eyes and chopped her arm off, which she was not able to regenerate from until after she drank Pip's blood.
- Soul Absorption: A basic vampire ability. By draining a person of their blood, Seras gains dominance over their souls, and inherits their memories and minds as they fuse together.
After being fatally wounded by Zorin's scythe, Pip tells Seras, who was blinded and crippled, to drink his blood so they can win together. She drains him of his blood and becomes one of the "true undead." Her transformation was completed upon her truly embracing her vampiric nature and enhanced her abilitiies while giving her access to higher-level powers; subsequent souls would thus serve only to increase her overall power level and regenerative abilities without changing the nature of her powers. Her severed left arm is restored as the same type of shadow-matter that Alucard can manipulate, and all of her abilities skyrocketed. It seems that upon becoming a full vampire, Seras has inherited some of Alucard's powers, and perhaps whatever modifications Hellsing had made to him as well. This is a manner consistent with vampire lore in popular culture.
After drinking Pip's blood, Seras displays a few changes. Not only are her powers enhanced, but it is also evident that she is no longer afraid to use them. Some of Pip's self-confidence seems to have rubbed off: after descending upon an armed party of Iscariot soldiers who are about to kill Integra, Alexander Anderson notes her change, declaring her an unholy creature. Seras, in response, calmly smiles and says that she's "not afraid of anything anymore", although she was shown to cower in fear when she fought against The Captain's werewolf form. In Chapter 85, Pip's spirit speaks to a wounded Seras after an assault from the Captain.
Anderson seems to regard her as a true Nosferatu who still conceals herself in human visage, and The Major calls her 'one of the fighters in the final tragedy of Walpurgisnacht'. Though she won the fight with the Captain, It should be noted that The Captain was in his human form, not werewolf form, for most of the fight and there are strong signs that The Captain never intended to win, as seen when he stayed in his human form, he knocked her down into Millennium's treasury, which was the only place which possessed the material that could kill him, and he was smiling at the face of his defeat.
- Dark Composition: Seras’s amputated arm becomes an limb made of shadow matter, which she can manipulate in a versatile manner. This shadow arm can be solidified in order for her to be able to wield two guns at once, and in Chapter 85 it is shown that she can turn them into normal shadows, which snake along the ground similar to Zorin Blitz's tattoos and form them into sharp spikes for lethal attacks, potent enough to pierce through The Captain when Walter’s wires couldn’t. She herself turned the shadowy matter after The Captain fired a few bullets into her head, rendering the attacks ineffective and forcing The Captain to back away with her spikes. She was also able to use it as a non-lethal weapon against Iscariot. This becomes Seras’s main weapon of choice. 30 years after the Millennium incident, she has such control over her shadow matter that she can mimic Alucard's entire outfit by transforming it. She also covered the entire mansion with her shadow, in some kind of makeshift surveillance system, although it was with Pip's sentience, complaining loudly when Makube demonstrated his presence by ripping the wallpaper.
- Flight: After she kills Zorin, Seras uses her shadow arm to make a bat-like wing. allowing her to fly to London at high speed. In addition, her wings do not flap. Instead, she soars much like a bullet. She also used this ability to escape the Hindenburg II as it was blowing up.
- Superhuman Strength: She was able to easily demolish an entire squad of Millennium vampires with her bare hands in mere seconds. She was also strong enough to punch off The Captain’s arms when their fists collided, although it blew off her arms as well.
- Superhuman Speed: Her speed skyrocketed after drinking Pip’s blood. She could easily dodge automatic gunfire from artificial vampires in a narrow hallway, while at the same time ripping them apart before they could react. Even Zorin could not handle her speed. Later on, she could keep up with The Captain’s human form on equal footing.
- Superhuman Endurance: Seras survived getting slammed by The Captain in his fully transformed werewolf form, and from crashing down head-first to the main hanger from the zeppelin’s upper floors. Despite all this damage, she was able to get back up to dodge The Captain’s kick before she even began regenerating.
- Enhanced Third Eye: She was able to dispel Zorin's illusionary magic at point-blank with a thought. (Zorin saw a mixed series of memories, memories contained within the minds of both Pip and Seras before Seras grabbed her and subsequently killed her.)
- Enhanced Vampiric Resistance: Like Alucard, Seras rid herself of some vampiric weaknesses. Prior to drinking Pip's blood, Seras could not walk in the sun without a hooded jacket and overcast skies. However, after she does, she is able to stand in sunlight and has a shadow, as depicted in Chapter 73. She was also able to resist the Nail of Helena’s holy vines and flames for a short period of time, and healed from the damage they inflicted.
- Familiar Control: Seras can manifest Pip's soul as a dark servant called a familiar, from which she can coordinate with Pip in combat, with the latter giving her tactical guidance. She can also materialize Pip into the physical world, such as when he appeared to give The Captain a fatal blow.
- Regeneration: Like Alucard, Seras has shown that she possesses the ability to rapidly recover from serious injuries within moments of receiving them. Immediately after becoming a full vampire, Seras was able to completely regenerate her damaged eyeballs that were previously slashed by Zorin's scythe. Later, during a battle with the Captain, the two traded blows powerful enough to almost completely destroyed each other's limbs. After Seras emerged victorious, her limbs were shown to have completely recovered to their undamaged state almost instantaneously. Curiously, although she was able to immediately regenerate her damaged eyes after completing her transformation, she never regenerated her severed left arm, having it permanently replaced by the shape-shifting shadow matter. It has never been addressed whether Seras was incapable of restoring the limb to its original organic form, or if she simply chooses not to regenerate it.
- Main Article: Seras Victoria/Weapons
Seras' preferred weapon is the Hellsing ARMS Anti-Midian Cannon Harkonnen. With the Harkonnen in hand, Seras serves perfectly as long-range fire support. Before gaining the Harkonnen, Seras used a relatively smaller rifle, firing 13.7mm rounds, as is seen written on the gun in the OVA. In the manga this gun is unnamed but the letters BAERLKS are spelled out on its side; in the OVA, however, the gun has Harkonnen written in the same place. The Harkonnen is stated by Walter to have enough firepower to destroy nearly anything other than a main battle tank, as well as being superior to the majority of military weapons. Carrying this weapon, the vampirically-enhanced Seras serves perfectly as long-range fire support. Her immense strength also allows her to use the weapon while moving; sometimes, especially in the manga, she wields it with an extraordinary ease, even firing over her shoulder.
- Caliber: 30mm uranium ammunition
- Total length: 1900mm (1.90m)
- Weight: 83kg
- Magazine: 1 bullet
Seras uses these weapons to barrage Zorin's Zeppelin II in an overwhelming display of firepower. The ammunition containers are detachable, and Seras is seen using the Harkonnen II without them, though she quickly runs out of ammo. They appear to be both belt and magazine fed; when they're first seen, they're belt fed, however, in Episode 10, she loads them with box magazines. They also appear to be locked breech recoil operated, as the barrel moves when it fires and it has no gas tube.
Described as a "Wide area saturation, high explosive incendiary grenade launcher", the Vladimir (named after the "Dune" character) is a set of fictional muzzle-fired grenades that are part of the Harkonnen II weapon system. Seras uses these to deliver the final blow to Zorin's Zeppelin II. They are fired seemingly in a similar manner to most muzzle-fired grenades, however, the ignition seems to be primed with a live round, whilst most real grenades of this type are fired utilizing a blank round.
- Caliber: 30mm uranium ammunition
- Total length: 1900mm (1.90m)
- Weight: 345 kg (with belt box)
- Magazine: Decay Belt (100+ rounds)
|“||Sir yes sir my master.||”|
|“||They're not real people. They're like...zombie pumpkins.||”|
|“||Makes you wonder, doesn't it. If there are normal people in this bloody place.||”|
|“||Hiii! Right this way, everybody!||”|
–Seras while leading a Japanese tour group
|“||It's just an illusion...just an illusion...!||”|
|“||I’ll make those bastards pay. Every last one of them...will fucking die! I’ll tear them to shreds!||”|
|“||You called [Pip Bernadotte] a gnat, didn't you? You called him a gnat. You'll pay for this. You will pay! You're going to pay! YOU'LL PAY!||”|
–Seras to Zorin before drinking Pip's blood
|“||Thank you, Captain. Rest in peace. But not yet... Not yet!"||”|
–Seras thanking the deceased Pip
|“||I did what you told me... In return you're going to help me...send these Nazis to Hell!||”|
|“||Together, you and I will slaughter them all!||”|
|“||"Even if I were about to die, I wouldn't drink a single god-damned drop of your evil blood! I don't want you...inside of me!||”|
–Seras moments before killin Zorin
|“||How does it feel having someone fuck with your head!? HOW DOES IT FEEL, YOU BITCH!?||”|
–Seras while killing Zorin
|“||I'm not afraid of anything anymore.||”|
|“||Master, you seem to have grown a mustache.||”|
–Seras to Level 0 Alucard
|“||It felt like if I drank the blood, it would mean the end of something important inside of me.||”|
|“||If you want to die... If you want to die so much, just hang yourselves! You should've hung yourselves fifty years ago!||”|
|“||He looked like a child. Who just woken up from a pleasant dream. These men... They've been trapped in the same dream since World War II. But tonight, Mr. Bernadotte, I'll wake them up. All of them.||”|
–Seras after killing The Captain
- Seras' signature weapons, Harkonnen and Harkonnen II, are named after the main antagonist of Frank Herbert's novel Dune, Baron Vladimir Harkonnen. This is further reinforced by the appearance of the gun's "spirit" during dream sequences in the manga (and thus OVA) and episode previews in the anime, who bears a strong resemblance to Baron Harkonnen from David Lynch's film adaptation of the book.
- A character similar to Seras was present in Hirano's earlier work, Hellsing: The Legends of a Vampire Hunter, called Yuri Kate, who is also turned into a vampire and taken in by a prototype of Alucard.
- "Serás Victoria" in Spanish literally translates to "You will be victory". This is possibly a reference to the numerous themes of victory and defeat through out the series.
- Her first name has also been interpreted/spelled as Ceres, who is the Roman goddess of agriculture, grain crops, fertility and motherly relationship. The "fertility" part is emphasized in her rather large assets, and "motherly relationship" is symbolized in her sweet, motherly personality. Furthermore, the Greek counterpart to Ceres is Demeter, the namesake of the Russian ship Dracula rides to Whitby in Bram Stoker's novel after he kills everyone on board. As he does with the Adler/HMS Eagle in the Thames, he jumps off the bow of the ship when it runs aground.
- On a side note, Seras' name is similar to 'Seraphim'; a six winged angel associated with light and purity.
- Seras' Japanese actress, Fumiko Orikasa, provides the voice of Shizuka Hio who is also a vampire in the anime Vampire Knight.